1. Depression and mania, in my opinion are two sides of the same coin. Perhaps my opinion is a bit biased because i seem to experience them both. In my experience the depression causes the mania, its like taking a stand against the depression until the mania is taking over, then its like riding a train of continuance. The lecture says depression is the low end, sad state in which living seems a bit over rated and dark while heavily overwhelming. Mania however is the exact opposite of that. Mania seems to be, life is worth living for, i want to be motivated, i want to be challenged, i need it right now, and why are you not as excited about this as me.
2. The difference between unipolar and bipolar disorders are, as you guessed it in the name, either 1 sided or two sided. Most people exeperience unipolar depression. Meaning, they only feel depression. While the polar people get to experience the depression and the mania. Both types of depression are generally the same.
3. The biological views of depression say that, genetics can play a roll, stating that 20% of people that have a family member with depression are depressed also. The biological view also states that their are biochemical factors at play also. Neurotransmitters Seratonin and norepinephrine, leading to the advancement of antidepressant medications. Stress can be a trigger. A series of stressfull events prior to the onset of the pateients symptoms.
5. Neurotransmitters Seratonin and norepinephrine are partly responsible in the mood of a person. Manipulating these levels can cause depression and mania. By using NT's to stabalize the level in the brain, one could then stabilize their emotional center.
6. ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy) is a procedure that targets eletrical stimulation to cause a brain seiure. 6 to 12 sessions spaced over two to four weeks. Treatment might be bilateral or unilateral. Studies find improvement in 60%-70% of patients. Early antidepresants were two categories, MAO inhibitors and Tricyclics. A third introduced known as SSRIs.
7. Bipolar I is clear signs of depression and mania. Bipolar II is depression and less mania. Then bipolar 3 or cyclothaimia, is depression little mania.
9. Lithium therapy is the use of lithium to help with bipolar tendencies, geared more towards the mania. The problems arise in dosage, because too little and no effect is felt, to much and u get lithium poisoning.
DONATE a BITCOIN